Friday, August 15, 2008

Walking Introspection

It occurred to me that I have been walking city streets late at night for most of my life. I don't mean taking a 15 or 20 minute walk. These are walks measured in miles and hours and stretching over several decades and continents.

At one time or another I have walked for hours in every major city on the
west coast of North America and many cities around the world. So much of who I am has been developed on these walks. These walks help create and define who I am and who I want to be. They allow me time to review decisions and choices and reflect on causality. I am at my happiest and my saddest during these walks. I am at my strongest and weakest as I wind my way in and out of seven figure neighborhoods and slums.

I have run for my life, been propositioned by men and women, physically assaulted by men and women, and abused by the police. I have stood my ground and fought. I have shared laughs with strangers and helped by strangers. I have met amazing people and truly disturbed people. I have witnessed the best in humanity and the taking of a human life.

Walking has allowed me to discover humanity and discover myself.

No comments: